Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Gunners 5-2 Fenerbahce

Arsenal took control of Champions League Group G with a stunning 5-2 demolition of Turkish side Fenerbahce in Istanbul on Tuesday night.

Arsene Wenger opted for a 4-5-1 formation in the Sukru Saracoglu stadium but the Gunners grabbed goals through Emmanuel Adebayor (10), Theo Walcott (11), Abou Diaby (21), Alexandre Song (49) and Aaron Ramsey (90), with Luis Aragones' hosts replying through Mikael Silvestre's own goal on 19 and Daniel Guiza's clever finish 12 minutes from time.

The victory put the Gunners on seven points from three group games, and Adebayor got the ball rolling after latching on to Cesc Fabregas' throughball and sidefooting past goalkeeper Volkan Demirel.

It was 2-0 a minute later when Fabregas this time played in Walcott, who waltzed past Demirel and netted clinically from a tight angle.

But the hosts got one back when Guiza's volley across the face of goal flew past skipper Manuel Almunia into the net off the unlucky Silvestre's boot.

In a pulsating start, a fourth goal arrived on 21 minutes when a long ball found Diaby, who outmuscled two defenders and fired home a left-footed strike.

Guiza had a volleyed goal ruled offside and fired wide of the upright before the break, but the visitors were 4-1 up four minutes after the interval when Song brilliantly volleyed home from 12 yards after some clumsy defending.

Guiza was denied a second goal by a brave Almunia block on 67, with Emmanuel Eboue clearing the follow-up shot off the goal-line.

But the Spain striker did the find net for a second time on 78 when he lifted the ball over Almunia with a cheeky chip.

It was the Gunners who had the last laugh, however, as sub Ramsey slammed a low 18-yard shot in off the post in stoppage time to cap a five-star display.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, great site! Are you going to be updating it any more often? If so, I have an idea you might like. Shoot me an email (my address is found in my profile) for more info.